Now we’ve covered all the basic portrait photograph tips, it just leaves the most thrilling photography experience of all. And perhaps this is the one tip you’ve really been waiting for. How to prepare for your makeover and photo shoot experience.
You don’t need us to tell you what a thrilling experience this is or how important this is to you. It may be a once in a lifetime experience. And you want to get the best results possible.
Whether you’re coming for a makeover, boudoir, nudes photography or anything in between – your preparation will be the same.
How to prepare for your photo shoot
Book an appointment with your hairdresser. Depending on your hairstyling, this could be either the day before or directly before your photography session.
Treat yourself to manicure a day or two beforehand so your nails look fabulous. Perhaps you want a pedicure too!
Pack your costumes, lingerie and any props the day before. I’ll help you set up your outfits before your photography begins. This makes sure everything is well coordinated. And it helps me plan your session ensuring we cover everything you want and prioritise if necessary.
You may wish to bring a dressing gown or shirt that you can slip on when you wish.
My experience is that three outfits are about right for a makeover with up to one-hour photography. Four outfits for a boudoir experience with up to two hours photography is about right.
You don’t want to spend half your photography session changing 🙂
When I say boudoir, I mean any photography experience beyond a makeover and photo shoot. I tailor boudoir experiences to you (usually following a chat at the studio) with up to two different studio sets and additional hour photography.
Makeovers are more standard using a single studio set photographing you in your outfits and finishing off with glamorous headshots.
Your big day
- Everything is already prepared. You’re going to have a fabulous fun experience. We’ve designed your experience to be as calm and easy going as possible.
- Wash but don’t wear any make-up.
- Don’t wear any tight clothing especially underwear. Pressure marks in your skin can take a long time to disappear.
- Bring your costumes and props.
- Arrive in good time for your photography session.
- When you arrive, we’ll show you where everything is for your convenience.
- Your experience starts with professional make-up. Imke will ask how you like your make-up. All the make-up is of high quality so risk of allergies is low. But if you’re aware of issues let Imke know. You may of course bring your own make-up if you prefer. Imke applies make-up mainly to cover blemishes, with a more look natural. Make-up can be heavier is desired. Your make-up takes approximately half an hour. During this time, you may enjoy refreshments such as a fresh cup of coffee.
- Before your photography, we’ll plan your session. You’ll get your outfits ready. I’ll leave you to get ready and you’ll come into the studio when you’re ready.
- Music will be playing to help set the atmosphere. Feel free to bring your own CDs.
- We’ll start with some easy poses. This will help you relax and gain confidence. As your photography session progresses you’ll do more elaborate posing. You’ll be surprised how easy it is with my expert guidance. You can be as tame or bold as you wish. I’ll never ask you to pose beyond what you’ve said you feel comfortable with. Many people decide to be bolder than they expected. And that’s fine too.
Now you know how to prepare for your makeover and photo shoot, you’re probably wondering…
What to do next?
If you came here via Twitter, Facebook or a friend’s links – why not get the complete series of tips?
Click here to receive this complete series and get the best from your portrait photography.
Are you looking for great portrait now? Click here and see how we can help with your family or makeover photography.